What will my child learn?
- Heritage Studies
- Fine and Digital Arts
- Grammar - parts of speech, verbals, clauses, capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, and the function of words in the context of a sentence.
- Literature - Our textbook is a series of short stories of different genres incorporating many elements of literature including plot, point of view, and figurative language. We read at least four novels including Out of the Dust, Holes, The Bronze Bow, and A Wrinkle in Time.
- Spelling and Vocabulary
- over 200 cumulative vocabulary words
- Spelling includes 150 commonly misspelled words.
- Writing assignments are varied with many based on literature stories and novels. They include a five paragraph essay, compare/contrast essay, character analysis, various types of fiction, various types of poetry, and novel projects.
- Everything in Academic plus: Reading Workshop-Weekly assignments are based on the reading of independent novels with a comprehension or elements of literature focus.
- Total Credits: 1
Students will review and append their knowledge of elementary level math, exploring the very basics of algebra classes to come.
Textbook: Math 6 by BJU Press
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing with whole numbers, fractions, and decimals
Basics of plane figure geometry (classifying plane figures, congruence & similarity, area, surface area, and volume)
Basics of algebraic expressions and equations (writing and simplifying algebraic expressions; solving linear equations with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division)
In the Honors class, teachers lead students through additional sections with more challenging problems and applications.
- Skill Development
- Completion of Several Novels
- Basic Generalizations
- Countries of the World
Ancient World History
- Byzantine Empire
- Middle Ages of Europe
- Changing Earth: Earthquakes & Volcanoes, Weathering & Erosion, Natural Resources
- God’s Creation: Cells & Classification, Animal Classification, Plant Classification
- Energy in Motion: Atoms & Molecules, Electricity & Magnetism, Motion & Machines
- Beyond Our Earth: Stars & the Solar
- God’s Continuing Plan: Plant & Animal Reproduction, Heredity & Genetics
- Our intricate Bodies: Nervous System, Immune System