Skip To Main Content
What will my child learn?
- Heritage Studies
- Fine and Digital Arts
English (Academic and Honors**)
Total Credits: 1
- Grammar: Study all parts of speech, capitalization, punctuation.
- Literature: Study an anthology of writing pieces by well-known authors.
- Novels: Read and analyze a variet of novels throughout the year, including Night, A Christmas Carol, and The Hound of Baskervilles.
- Composition: Various writing projects including creative writing, literary analysis, research paper, persuasive oral speeches, and poetry.
- Spelling, vocabulary, and poetry: 28 spelling lists, 280 vocabulary words, various poetry forms will be studied.
- Field Trips: A Christmas Carol; (novel study); The Harrisburg State Capitol and The Museum of Pennsylvania (research paper).
- **Honors English courses move at an accelerated pace, cover an increased amount of novels and an increased frequency of writing assignments.
- Real Numbers
- Solving Equations
- Solving Inequalities
- Relations, Functions and Graphs
- Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- Factoring Polynomials
- Quadratic Equations
- Rational Expressions
- Study of United States history from colonization up until 1850
- Some Topics Covered:
- Settling the Wilderness: Discovery of the New World, settling the colonies, colonies and the British Empire.
- Establishing a Nation: Revolutionary war, Confederation and establishment of the new government.
- Spanning the Continent: Growth of the Nation, Jacksonian Era, Westward Expansion.
Physical Science, Earth Science, Chemistry
- Inquiry and Steps to Solve a Physics Problem
- How to Make a Graph
- Forces and Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Energy and Work
- The Solar System, Anatomy of the Sun, Stars
- Electric Currents, Magnets, Wave Interactions
- How the Human Eye sees Light and Color
- How Light is Affected by Matter
- The Phases of Matter and Heat Transfer
- Buoyancy, Mechanical Properties
- The Atom
- Physical vs. Chemical Properties of Matter
- Compounds and Mixtures
- Acids vs. Bases, Chemical Reactions
- Exothermic and Endothermic Reactions
- Types of Chemical Reactions
- Balancing Equations
- Rocks & Minerals